History of Beautiful Downtown Derby History of Beautiful Downtown Derby
The Arrival of the Garretts
In the early spring of 1869 a covered wagon, filled with a few household and farming necessities slowly followed the winding trail southward from Salina, Kansas. In it were Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Garrett. On March 7, 1869, they brought their vehicle to a stop on the bank of Spring Creek at a spot that is just south and slightly east of the present school building.
Thus their goal has been reached for it was to this spot that they were traveling. A place which had been described to them by a trader by the name of MacWilliams as the “garden spot of Kansas”. So glowing were his remarks concerning the country that the Garretts decided to risk all hardships in order to make it their home.
In this manner the Derby community was started and we might say that the Garretts with their little dugout on the bank of Spring Creek laid the cornerstone of the structure.
Taken from: 1 Historical Sketch in the Wichita Vidette. for Nov, 17, 1869
“A BRIEF HISTORY OF HE CITY OF DERBY, KANSAS, AND A SURVEY OF THE DERBY PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM, 1936-1937”